A K-12 Mascots Fishing Contest Idea
At K-12 Mascots we are your mascot superstore. We are a resource to ideas and high-quality mascots aimed at helping you make your fundraiser or school Fishing Contest a success.
Planning A School Fishing Contest
Planning a school Fishing Contest can be a great way to boost school spirit and create a fun summer activity for the students.
Following are some ideas you will want to consider when planning and promoting a school Fishing Contest.
School Fishing Contest Ideas:
When deciding on where to hold the fishing contest, you will want to keep the following things in mind:
- Make sure to choose a lake, reservoir, stream, or ocean where there is a good population of the species of fish you want to catch.
- Select a site where there is good accessibility for those who will be competing or attending.
- Be careful to make sure that there are no other professional tournaments for the date you want your event. You will want to be sure that the area of consideration will not be at peak use.
- Learn the fishing and boating regulations of the jurisdiction where you plan to hold the contest. (For example, the Department of Natural Resources or the Game and Parks Commission.)
- Boating regulations typically include requirements such as life jackets for each occupant of the boat, running lights for night use, and a kill switch for outboard motors or a certain horsepower or greater. Some regulations even require a source of drinking water on the boat. Make sure you know and follow all regulations as violations could be costly and affect the safety of those participating.
- SCORING: You may want to determine the winner of the contest by total weight of all fish caught during the tournament. In the event of a tie use the weight of the biggest fish caught as the tie-breaker.
- FISHING METHODS: Depending on the contest you may want to disallow trolling, snagging fish, or artificial bait. For a school fishing contest keep it simple where hooks are not flying around and could harm any participants.
- CONDUCT OF PARTICIPANTS: Make sure to provide all participants with a copy of the rules and their acknowledgment that all participants understand and agree with the rules and regulations.
- LIABILITY: Consult with an attorney (likely your school attorney) to ensure you have all your bases covered with regards to liabilities, safety, parental permissions, and proper legal notifications and insurance. DO NOT skip this step and make sure all communications are in writing.
- PROOF OF INSURANCE: Make sure the owner's of the boats you use have and carry proof of liability insurance. Your attorney will likely request this from you prior to the event.
- HANDLING/PRESERVATION OF THE FISH: Most newer boats have live wells to keep fish alive until weighing.
- FISHING LICENSES: Check to see if a license is required and if so consider that cost in your event as well as the time to process.
- SPONSORS: You may want to find sponsors for your contest by consulting with local businesses that may want to support your fundraiser or school.
- VOLUNTEERS: Consider having parents for chaperones on the boats making sure everyone is safe.
- COOKOUT AND ENTERTAINMENT: If you are having an after-event such as fish fry and entertainment be sure you have proper park permissions and your dates do not conflict with our tournaments or events.
- AWARDS AND PRIZES: Have fun with the awards and prizes. For example, inexpensive trophies for largest fish, smallest fish, the one that got away, ugliest fish, biggest catch, etc.
- If you are having teams or classes competing against each other consider having each team in advance of the contest come up with their own shirts so that it is easy to distinguish each team and build a competitive spirit.
Tips to promote your Fishing Contest and make it a success!
Get professional looking Fishing Contest tickets
Fishing Contest Printable tickets
Purchase Avery® White Matte Tickets with Tear-Away Stubs Product #16154, 1-3/4" x 5-1/2", Pack of 200 for $12.50. This clean, professional looking ticket will help you create buzz for your fishing contest.
You might want to consider tickets with a perforated portion and numbered that could be used for a drawing.
Promote your Fishing Contest with attractive and professionally designed flyers.
K-12 Mascots provides the Fishing Contest flyer and poster that we customize for you to contain your contact information and team mascot (if available from K-12 Mascots) with your purchase.
Make sure you print plenty of posters to promote your Fishing Contest. Place them where you will get results.
Get The K-12 Mascots Fishing Contest Kit
Each kit contains printable ticket design, poster design, and flyer design. We customize it to include your team or company logo and event information.
How do I get a K-12 Mascots Fishing Contest Kit?
You can get one (1) free kit with your purchase from K-12 Mascots.
How fast can I get my kit?
Once you provide us with your logo and event information, you will receive your kit via email with your electronic files ready to print in 5 days or less. If there is a super rush, just let us know, and we will do our best to get it done for you.